Sunday, June 3, 2007

Main Wiring Harness



My next project was to replace the main wiring harness. I was getting mystery smoke from under the back seat. My expert at work told me it was likely a short in one of the wires, and the burning insulation on the wires causes the smoke.


For the low low price of $289 I was able to buy a complete wiring kit with diagrams for my bug. I have never done wiring in my life, and this was a scary proposition. I started with the main wiring harness. It actually isn't that hard once you get started. I carefully labeled every wire and connection as I disconnected the wires. Everything is color coded so you just match the colors on the diagram and you are set. The hardest part is pulling the old harness through the path with a string attached, then pulling the new harness back through the path using the string. You have to tape all of the loose wires together because the path is not very wide. It only took a couple of hours to complete, and the car started right up after I was done.

No comments: