Monday, June 25, 2007

Small fire in the rear

I have to relate this second hand because I didn't witness the incident. My son and husband were going to drive the Beetle to the parts store this afternoon. My husband, who is a large man, sat on the back bench seat on top of the battery. My son started driving toward the parts store. According to the son, my husband started "screaming like a girl that his butt hurt" and the car filled up with smoke. According to them, the seat pressed down onto the battery and the springs and material started burning. So I need to find out if there is a weight limit on the back seat, or if there is something I can use to protect the seat from the battery.

What great fun. Sorry I missed it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! HA! HA!

Have your fun! Talk about a good case of red ass! By the way we had not even left the driveway--to set the record straight!

The Hubby!

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is supposed to be a cover on the battery - I can't remember if it was a case or something - but there was something to keep the battery terminals from touching the springs in the rear seat. Go to a marine supply and get a battery case from them. It should fit, and some have canvas tie-downs which would also be handy to keep the battery from shifting around. Good luck!

Triche said...

Thanks! That's one suggestion I hadn't heard yet but sounds like a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Rick sent me the link to your blog. I love it! It brings back old, scary memories of my teenage days and my first VW. My family (going back to my dad) had beetles since the late '50's. My first was a '60 with a broken crankshaft.(It ran!) I've owned 6 since that first one in 1969. My last was a school-bus yellow NB that I just got rid of. Those cars are a labor of love but can be quite aggravating. Good luck. I'll check back often