Sunday, June 3, 2007

Replacing the dashboard

The dashboard was an interesting project only because I don't really know how everything fits together yet. My method was simple. Remove a screw, see if the dashboard comes off, if not remove another screw. By time I was done I had removed the glove box, the speedometer, all of the knobs, and something that looks like a speaker.

I discovered my lighter was actually just the end piece filled with putty and stuck in the hole.

I bought a new dashboard from JBUGS.com out of California. Once I got the old dashboard removed, the new one slipped on quite easily. Reattached the speedometer and inserted the knobs. The screws were a challenge because you really have to stretch the dashboard tightly for the screw holes in the dash to match up with the screw holes on the body. But eventually I was able to make it work.

However, I think I didn't do the glove box area correctly. There was a flap of vinyl that overlapped the door opening at the bottom. Another trip to Lowe's this time. I bought 2 C-clamps, some super strength glue, and a paint stirring stick. I glued and clamped the flap down on the opening where the glove box door is hinged using the paint stick. I also glued the front of the ash-tray cover to the ash-tray. I think some of the glue leaked around the vinyl because now my glove box door is glued shut (with my registration inside). As long as I don't get stopped by the police I'll be okay.

No comments: