Saturday, June 9, 2007

Wiper Motor and Horn



I am now working on finishing up the wiring under the dashboard. The first task was to remove the wiper motor assembly, with the accompanying big metal thing that it is attached to. Removing the wiper blades is easy, and I could tell that the assembly was held on with two screws that go through the body by the windshield. We got everything removed, but the fresh air vent on the passenger side is in the way when you try to push the assembly screws through the holes and out.
At first I thought there was a nut holding the fresh air vent in place. My friend (in the second picture) climbed into the trunk and used needle nose pliers to reach one of the nuts that I couldn't get to. After much sweat and work, we removed the nut. Bad news, the nuts we worked so hard to remove hold the hand-bar in place and had nothing to do with the fresh air vents. So we went to plan B - B for Brute Force. My son came to the rescue using nothing but a rubber mallet and just forced the wiper assembly screws through and out. And tada! No more wiper assembly. Tomorrow my project will be to finish the wiring for the dash, and hopefully order a new wiper motor assembly.
Also today, I went to my favorite parts store and bought a horn. After tracing some of the wires one weekend I discovered my horn wires dangling all alone under the drivers side front fender. But too bad, so sad, there was no horn for them to connect to. I bought a horn for the low low price of $15, and installed this morning. I attached the wires, and got the connections right on the first try (an unusual event for me). And the horn is working, a very necessary feature on the car when I am driving.
My son is replacing a part that has to do with the shifter. Not sure what that part is, but he has it partially installed. Since the car must be drivable by next Sunday so I can drop it off at the headliner shop, his project tomorrow is to finish that installation.
I'm going to study my wiring diagram for tomorrow, hopefully all will go well and nothing will catch on fire.

No comments: