Sunday, June 3, 2007

My Son Joins the Project

My son joined the project last week. He wasn't so interested in the tedious chores like wiring or scraping tarboard. But he decided to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires. It took three trips to the AutoZone to get a spark plug socket, spark plugs, and spark plug wires.

He removed the trunk lid for easy access, and removed the oil bath air cooler. The oil bath thing got set on my floor pans, so I had big puddles of oil all over the inside of the car.

He didn't finish the spark plugs the first day, and didn't put everything back together. The next day we got a huge rain storm, and the carburetor filled up with water.

He went ahead and finished the spark plugs, then decided to start the car to test the new plugs. There was a huge cloud of smoke, and of course I hollered to turn off the car. We decided since the trunk lid wasn't attached, and the ground wire is part of the attachment, maybe that was the problem. So we attached the trunk lid and tried to start the car again. Another huge cloud of smoke, and the car wouldn't start.

Well, the spark plugs were great, but now the car isn't drivable. Ruh roh Rorge!

I was worried one of his many lapses had caused the problem, but it was just bad timing. A wire shorted and burnt up. So that was my next project.

No comments: